Android and Palm OS,
dvm407
2010-07-13 18:22:23 UTC
Hello. Does anyone know if there is a Palm OS emulator for the Android phones yet, and if so how is it, and does it hotsync?

Thanks in advance.

Domingo
Harold M. Goldner
2010-07-13 18:48:18 UTC
I'm not aware of any Palm OS (Garnet) emulator for Android. There are one
or two apps that emulate the look and feel of Garnet or WebOS applications,
and there are a few (more) that will handle/import Garnet or WebOS data
within an Android application.

To the best of my knowledge, there are *no* products which will "hotsync"
directly between an Android phone and Palm Desktop data.

There are several online resources for Palm emigrees to the Android platform
(such as myself).

Harold

James M. Small
2010-07-13 20:24:46 UTC
Would you mind giving us some of those resources?

Jim

________________________________

Harold M. Goldner
2010-07-13 21:05:08 UTC
I find the information on Android Forums invaluable. In particular, there
is the following thread:

Former Palm Users Transition to Droid Guide - Android
Forums<http://androidforums.com/how-tips/20635-former-palm-users-transition-droid-guide.html#post378770>

In addition, this individual has been handling his own blog about migration:

Dancing Droid <http://www.dancingdroid.com/>

He doesn't generate a lot of activity (except he does get comments from me).

Finally, as to specific applications (Documents to Go; SplashID), you can go
to their forums for assistance with the transition. The SpashID transition
from Palm OS to Android was painless --- you'll need a new desktop
application; you can't use the Palm Desktop application for Splash ID with
the Android phone.

I tested CompanionLink and decided I didn't need to pay for it. Remember
that Android phones will synchronize painlessly with Exchange accounts via
Activesync, and if you've already got your data in Google, Android is an
even better option. I generally did not like any option which involved
migrating data from Outlook to Google and then to the phone. Too much "lost
in translation" (and too much spent).

Feel free to email me offlist with specific questions and I'll try to help
when I have time.

Harold

cwwees
2010-07-18 03:34:30 UTC
You seem to be intent on running Palm apps. The Pre, of course, isn't running a Palm OS, just an emulator. I *think* someone got it to sync data, but ...

I moved to Android and found the change of mindset quite troubling - for a while. After 7 months now, I don't have any desire to go back. Docs to Go is available. There's a couple GTD-oriented task manager: Shuffle and OpenLoopz are my experience. Others have probably been written since.

The most "troubling" thing is that the cloud storage for calendar, contacts, and documents (GDocs and NoteEverything interface with Google Docs), means that there's not a "backup" of the data if I mess up doing an edit.

On the other hand, there's never a question of "sync." It's always sync'd.

Charlie
Domingo
dvm407

Domingo
Tom Baker
2010-07-18 12:20:36 UTC
A lot of people, just like me, are interested in running Palm apps on the
droid. Nobody has ported an emulator yet that I know of.

This post from March may strike you as a not-bad list of emulators at that
time.

http://www.justjon.net/droid/emulators-for-the-droid/

dvm407
Tom Baker
2010-07-18 20:53:00 UTC
Yes. I wish I could tell you that Xcopilot just plain runs on something
like the Android, but I have no experience with it.

And this thread (
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/1905-running-palm-os-based-software-g1.html
) thought that GarnetVM should be portable, too.

tom
Post by Tom Baker
time.
http://www.justjon.net/droid/emulators-for-the-droid/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
GtD_Palm-digest-***@public.gmane.org
GtD_Palm-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
mr_vincent_01
2010-10-05 21:27:36 UTC
Hi Domingo
There are several applications (iSilo, OliveTree, eReader) that I know have been ported to Android,so that helps with the idea of giving up on the Palm OS. But I absolutely must have an application like memopad(Memoleaf), that's the Palm program where most of my personal data is located. I have never seen an equivalent in any platform yet.
For Android, you could try wikimind-lite
0.13.0, freeware
(http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/wikimind-lite)

For Windows, Linux (Ubuntu, for instance) and Mac : http://zim-wiki.org/

Could you imagine a smartbook, like Toshiba AC100, instant on, with Ubuntu for arm and something like zim...

Mr Vincent
Harold M. Goldner
2010-10-05 21:56:16 UTC
That was my concern as well.

Ultimately, I settled on B-Folders as the best alternative. It provides for
wireless synchronization with the Android handset and any number of
computers. (The license allows it on at least 3 desktops and one handset).
There is a 30 day trial, I believe.

Also decent are Note Everything (which provides for backup but not desktop
synchronization). Everybody raves about Evernote. I haven't been
particularly tempted, although I do have it set up.

Finally, you could use Google Docs, and sync with your Android handset via
Gdocs, but I really am not crazy about the Google Docs interface.

It's just not as simple as Memopad (and, for me on Palm "MemoPLUS") ever
was.

And, finally, I really find using Outlook's "Notes" feature entirely
unsatisfying.

Harold

alanportman2002
I use Dokuwiki (http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki) for documentation as well as a web page. There is a version that runs from a USB drive. I don't think there is a version for phones, but since it is open source, maybe no one has asked. You can see one of my installations here, http://theportmans.name/wiki/.
Harold M. Goldner
2010-07-19 18:09:45 UTC
I don't know about anyone else, but for me the migration to Android from
Garnet was motivated by the need for me to sync reliably with an Outlook
Exchange server, not the cloud.

My Treo 755p couldn't do it, the firm was unwilling to load Blackberry's
software layer to the server for 1 user, nor was IT happy with all the
issues WebOS has had syncing to Outlook. Android became the only logical
choice.

And the vast majority of my data not in Exchange is on my phone's SD card.

Harold

kudzu62
2010-09-18 00:47:42 UTC
This is exactly the case for me. I would have loved to stay with Palm, and would have continued to buy legacy devices. MS Exchange sync was the reason I could not stay. -Gord
serdgio2004
2010-10-11 00:17:15 UTC
As an avid (ex) Palm user, mainly due to Win 7 incompatibility, I am always on the look for alternatives and I believe that nothing beats B-Folder as a solid replacement. Although it synchronizes between computers and Android phones, it still lacks some of the features I loved.