directions
Teri Pittman
2010-06-15 18:10:24 UTC
I approved another new member yesterday and was thinking about how much
interest there is about doing GTD on Palms. It's not the buzz that it was
when the list was new. I'm starting to believe that a lot of that buzz had
to do with new applications being developed and used. There was always some
new system on the horizon to try out. So, my question is; was it all just
about the software? Or are there folks on the list with mature, working
systems they'd like to share?
--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman-***@public.gmane.org

Tammy Emam
2010-06-15 18:26:11 UTC
Mine is Outlook dependent, Palm by convenience. But it works. If/when the
time comes that Palm OS smartphones are no longer available, I will adapt to
something else. So I guess it's a combination of "old and resistant to
change" and "if it's not broke".

Tammy
www.TammyEmam.com
Tamara L. Emam, RealtorR
Prudential Georgia Realty
Direct phone: 404-879-7081
Serving metro Atlanta, referrals nationwide
CSN (Certified Skilled Negotiator), e-certified
Hometown service, corporate resources, global marketing
Jill Binder
2010-06-15 18:31:14 UTC
That's a great question. It seems Palm is out of vogue, so I love seeing
that there are others who still use it.

I'm still on my Palm Zire 22 and I use LifeBalance to do my GTD.

This probably makes me sound curmudgeony, but I don't need all the new
fandangled technology.
My philosophy is to decide first what my needs are, and then find the
technology to match. Most people go the other way around - upgrade their
needs to what the newest device can do.
My needs haven't changed in the 8 years since I've been using Palms and
3 years since I've been on LifeBalance. Plus, it lasts. I only had to
replace my Palm once when I dropped it.

If I did decide to upgrade, it would have to be to a device that still
supports LifeBalance. I got it for my Palm specifically, but now I'm
hooked. The only other device they support at present is the iPhone.

Here's a little smile for you: I often get asked, "Whoah! What kind of
phone is that?!"

Jill
martin trotter
2010-06-15 19:33:43 UTC
Is the zire 22 that white cased palm?

I got one for my sister and the screen was very shoddy and the worst
i have seen for a colour palm. I would suggest you get a second hand TX
or T3 off ebay since they are cheap now.

Running a bought from new TX, second hand TX and a 2nd hand T3

Martin N
Harold M. Goldner
2010-06-15 19:42:03 UTC
Frankly, I'm now doing GTD on an Android phone. The hardest part was
getting the context-sensitive tasks which live originally in TimeMatters
synced with Outlook and thence to the Android phone (an HTC Incredible).
The solution, which took me 6 weeks to find, was Dataviz' Roadsync which
will actually sync Outlook tasks directly to an Android phone.

All other alternatives require either import/export work, or creating a
Google "calendar" used exclusively to tasks.

The solution was always much more elegant on Palm.

Harold

Pablo Rios

James M. Small
2010-06-15 19:19:07 UTC
I'm also Outlook on desktop, and Palm Centro. I think Palm handles
lists beautifully, efficiently with a few pen taps. Excellent for GTD.
Am starting to look as the phone, like me, is getting older, has a
little crack in the case, etc.

Wondering about the Pre since some people on GTD website seem to think
it doesn't handle lists as well as the older Palms. Also considering
Droid, Blackberry. But I'm not looking forward to changing!

Jim

________________________________

Karen Gallagher
2010-06-16 04:34:22 UTC
As one of the very first palm users, i recently had the centro ... was very
excited about the pre - but once I went and looked at it, i was very
disappointed. I gave up and went iPhone. There are a lot of options on the
iPhone for gtd and lists, outlines etc Finding the system you like takes
time ... But I now love my iPhone. I resisted in the beginning but
eventually caved. I just bought an iPad. Im now hooked :-p

On Jun 15, 2010, at 12:19 PM, "James M. Small" <jmsmall-aeNgy+/***@public.gmane.org>

[...]

GtD_Palm%40yahoogroups.com <GtD_Palm%2540yahoogroups.com>>
GtD_Palm%40yahoogroups.com <GtD_Palm%2540yahoogroups.com>> ]
On Behalf Of Teri Pittman
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:10 PM
gtd_palm%40yahoogroups.com <gtd_palm%2540yahoogroups.com>>
I approved another new member yesterday and was thinking
about how much interest there is about doing GTD on Palms.
It's not the buzz that it was when the list was new. I'm
starting to believe that a lot of that buzz had to do with
new applications being developed and used. There was always
some new system on the horizon to try out. So, my question
is; was it all just about the software? Or are there folks on
the list with mature, working systems they'd like to share?
--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman%40gmail.com <teri.pittman%2540gmail.com>>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
GtD_Palm-digest-***@public.gmane.org
GtD_Palm-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Roth, Bruce
2010-06-16 17:27:55 UTC
Question,

I am going to have to move off my Palm TX to the Iphone/Itouch. Do you
have a list of what apps you looked at or what you settled on?

My app of choice on the Palm was Shadowplan.

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 2:10 PM
gtd_palm%40yahoogroups.com <gtd_palm%2540yahoogroups.com>>
I approved another new member yesterday and was thinking about how
much interest there is about doing GTD on Palms.
It's not the buzz that it was when the list was new. I'm starting to
believe that a lot of that buzz had to do with new applications being
developed and used. There was always some new system on the horizon to
try out. So, my question is; was it all just about the software? Or
are there folks on the list with mature, working systems they'd like
to share?
--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman%40gmail.com <teri.pittman%2540gmail.com>>

get the most out of it:

t6r8wels
martin trotter
2010-06-16 13:30:12 UTC
Have you tried hotsyncing via wifi or bluetooth?

This apparently gets around the lack of a palm device driver in
windows 7 and vista.

I agree about pushing people into signing a monthly contract for a phone.
I currently pay around £5 for phone calls a month changing to a £25 a
month contract is way too much for me so i stick with my TX.

Martin N
Larry Van Deusen
2010-06-16 14:26:21 UTC
Try Companion Link. http://www.companionlink.com/products/companionlink.html I have been using this software for some time and they seem to update when needed.
larryvan

________________________________
Jermia
2010-06-17 02:14:07 UTC
I was able to sync my centro with windows 7 *32 bit*.
I once used 64 bit version and unable to sync, but there's no problem with
the 32 bit.

Are you using 64 bit version?

Rgds,
Jermia

t6r8wels
2010-06-18 11:10:21 UTC
Am using 64 bit, which I never knew about until I bought the new laptop @ a good sale price and started it up. One does not have all the Palm related questions at hand when shopping on a budget! tried to synch via blue tooth, but the Palm synch mgr does not show the bluetooth option. The Centro does, but the Palm desktop does not.

I can still synch with home PC, but that defeats purpose of being total with my new laptop and old devices. Taht's proabbly the point - always think upgrade!

martin trotter
2010-06-18 16:44:01 UTC
The sync option is not called bluetooth in palm desktop its called
something like serial or com port I think.

Hopefully someone can check for you.

Martin N
Teri Pittman
2010-06-18 18:58:41 UTC
Post by t6r8wels
Am considering living without synch.
It's do-able. If you have a good backup to your card, you really are fine
without syncing. You just won't have the same info available in two spots.

Tom Baker
2010-06-20 09:47:34 UTC
Post by Teri Pittman
Post by t6r8wels
Am considering living without synch.
It's do-able. If you have a good backup to your card, you really are fine
without syncing. You just won't have the same info available in two spots.
Does 'the same info available' mean it is not 'available' or not 'the
same'?

(I think the original issue was syncing with a form of Win7, and perhaps
jwy113's entry will clear that up) but as to using cards ...

... I do backups to different cards a lot, and usually can grab information
off them just by accessing them as regular file systems. Sometimes it has
been necessary to use specific software to view the card data as files, but
usually I can see the files as "just files" after mounting the card. If the
card seems like a "black box" to you, you may be able to get at the data
after all and may consider it "available". (My most reliable means is to
import the important files into the POSE Palm Emulator.)

But if you mean it is not "the same data" if you are backing up and not
syncing, yes, that is true. I have some parts of my system that rely on
that, and it is workable. For some parts of my data that change only every
few weeks (like my password manager's data), or for apps that I use
infrequently (like doing an urgent access from a desktop/laptop because my
palm isn't there), it does the job. If I need to update in those cases, I
just write the changes down and enter it when I get to my regular system.
So working with files that are getting just a little stale (and "not the
same data") is okay sometimes.

tom

j***@public.gmane.org
2010-06-18 22:52:06 UTC
I don't know about the Centro, but I've synced my TX with my Windows 7
x64 PC via both Bluetooth and WiFi.

In Hotsync Manager (v7.0.2, which came with Desktop 6.2) I have both
Bluetooth (BT) and Network enabled under Connections.

On my TX, I first configured my WiFi connection. Then in the main
Hotsync window changed from Local to Network sync (above the Hotsync
button). Below the Hotsync button I used the dropdown PC list to choose
Select PC and went through the steps to enter the IP address of my
desktop PC. Back at the main window, I clicked on the Hotsync button to
start a sync.

I normally use WiFi to sync because it's faster than BT, but I did test
BT syncing. On my TX I set this up via Prefs->Communication->Bluetooth
- turn on BT
- click on Setup Devices
- click on PC Setup
- click on Bluetooth Hotsync and go through the wizard to select the
desktop PC to sync with (with BT enabled in Hotsync v7, I ignored the
note about setting up a virtual COM port...)

One issue: after a BT Hotsync I could no longer sync via WiFi. The fix
is to open Hotsync on the Palm, select menu -> Modem Sync Prefs, then
select Network (not Direct to Modem).

It's not as simple as it should be, but once configured it does work.

John
Post by Jermia
I was able to sync my centro with windows 7 *32 bit*.
I once used 64 bit version and unable to sync, but there's no
problem with
Post by Jermia
the 32 bit.
Are you using 64 bit version?
Rgds,
Jermia
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
phones and costly data plans.
<mailto:GtD_Palm%40yahoogroups.com> <GtD_Palm%40yahoogroups.com>, Teri
Pittman
Post by Jermia
Post by Jermia
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
Post by Teri Pittman
when the list was new. I'm starting to believe that a lot of
that buzz
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
had
Post by Teri Pittman
to do with new applications being developed and used. There was
always
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
some
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
Post by Teri Pittman
about the software? Or are there folks on the list with mature,
working
Post by Jermia
Post by t6r8wels
Post by Teri Pittman
systems they'd like to share?
--
Teri Pittman
delevin1
2010-06-19 13:01:23 UTC
Anyone know of a good GTD for Android group (for those of us that finally gave up on Palm)?

Thanks,
David
Kirk
2010-06-20 15:41:59 UTC
Post by delevin1
Anyone know of a good GTD for Android group (for those of us that finally gave up on Palm)?
Thanks,
David
I am on the waiting list for HTC EVO 4G. I was looking forward to switching from my Palm Centro to a Pre when my contract with AT&T ran out, but I think that would mean I am stuck with already outdated tech for two more years.

I am looking at an intersting transistion from using Outlook to Gmail.

I have been using a laptop to run everything for the last three years. I am now needing a more powerful desktop to run Adobe CS5, so I need to be able to easily synch the desktop with the laptop and handheld. Having everything in one place on the web is my most appealing option.

Android looks like the best platform for keeping it all together. My buddy showed me the mobile hotspot on the G4 network and it was great.

I have been a Palm/GTD fanatic for 8 years and I feel like I am leaving my hometown to go off to a new city.

Kirk

PS BTW, if you go to an EVO at one level it seems like going back to Tungston size wise. I liked the Centro size, but I am a big guy I think I can take the bigger size. Here are some good comparison pictures. http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-13416_11-434763-2.html?tag=content;leftCol
John
2010-06-20 18:35:57 UTC
David,

I have a Palm Pre and I have just bought a used Samsung Moment to give Android a try. It may not be an Evo, but since it is running Android 2.1, the experience should be comparable. While I like Android, I still feel that WebOS is the best mobile platform available. At this point, I plan to use both. Google Voice allows me to receive calls form both lines when one phone is turned off.

To answer your question, the apps I like the best are: Got To Do(Toodledo), and Remember The Milk/Astrid. I have just weaned down to these from approximately 20 available apps. Other useful apps are Recall, Evernote, and Note Everything.

Good Luck,
Dr. John Daly
David
cwwees
2010-06-21 03:03:55 UTC
I was a Bonsai/GTD user on the Palm. The move to Android last Christmas caused a radical shift - thinking about data stored in the cloud instead of the known, deliberate "sync" operation.

Shuffle is an open-source GTD application that links to a web service. I recommend you try it.

Before the web service got started, I loaded my data into OpenLoopz and I've adapted myself to this for GTD.

Charlie
David
dvm407
2010-06-16 11:43:47 UTC
Does that mean the XP mode in Windows 7 is not really compatible? Just wondering as I am considering both a new Windows computer and a substitute for my Palm TX and Moto Q phone, currently I am thinking of the Palm Pre with emulator.
fnantes
2010-06-16 15:03:10 UTC
I use Bonsai plus Palm Centro for GTD. It does everything I need without any issues.

The fact is that Palm OS is dead and was replaced by WebOS. Palm as a company was absorbed by HP and is gone. At some point every Palm fan will have to make a decision to move on. The questions for every one of us are: How long until that happens? and, what will my next GTD platform be?

It can be argued that Apple (iPhone), Google (Android) and RIM (Blackberry), built on the concepts laid down by Palm. They improved and created products that are way better. Palm did nothing and is gone.

I'm my opinion Android is the solution that best represents what I'm looking for in a mobile solution (remember when it was called a PDA?): choice of hardware platforms and availability of applications.

Ten years ago, Palm was the only game in town. Nowadays we can pick and choose our GTD platform and this is a good thing. It's sad to see Palm go because they are the ones that started it all, but they have only themselves to blame for their demise.

Best regards.

--fnds
mcbgraham
2010-06-17 12:17:24 UTC
I am going to have to move off my Palm TX to the Iphone/Itouch. Do you
have a list of what apps you looked at or what you settled on?
My app of choice on the Palm was Shadowplan.
I bought an itouch since android isn't available except with a phone and
dataplan and I am at the end of my centro plan. I plan to replace it with
a pre-pay phone of some sort.
After getting over going to the dark side, here are the things that I have
tried to replace what I used with my palms. I used Agendus and Handyshopper
most on the palms.

I am not an Outlook person and most things seem to be made outlook
compatible.

I have tried two different GTD plans to sync my computers and itouch- Gmail
centered and Evernote centered.Both work pretty well, both are not as
optimal for contacts as I am use to with agendus/ palm desktop.

I have tried and installed Geo Tasks, which syncs Gmail tasks. It works well
if you use Gmail and google apps. Google contacts quickly become useless as
they automatically add email addresses you send to more than once. I read of
a good way to maintenance that, but it is work that hasn't happened yet.
Syncing from Palm to Google, without Outlook as a conduit is laborious as
well.

To use Google apps for GTD, I suggest making an igoogle page with more than
one gtasks gadget on the page, I have three across the top. With this you
can open three lists at the same time. You can add any of hundreds of other
gadgets you may prefer, I have Evernote on there as well as facebook, google
calender, an RSS feed I really like, etc. It works well for me if I have a
pretty constant connection. But I don't always and I didn't like having to
wait for one to add something to my todo lists. S0 I started using Evernote
more.

I was already using Evernote for saving web info. Recently a new iphone app
was made that makes using Evernote great for GTD. It is called Egrelist.
Now I am able to open a note to plan projects, brainstorming along in an
Evernote note, then pick out the todo items by adding a
checkbox-(Shift-ctrl-C) at the beginning of that line. After syncing
Evernote, (from computer to web) you can then sync from itouch to Egrelist
and all the checkboxed things will be stripped out into lists with the same
name as the note. But you can even tag your notes and Egrelist will gather
all the todo items into one big list per tag. So if you have several notes
in Evernote on Project A with todo items on each page there is no need to
consolidate, Egrelist does it for you. you can also organize these tags into
contexts on Egrelist as well.
Evernote's own iphone app is pretty good too, and I use that as well,
especially if I need all the context information along with the task.
The only thing I would wish to change is the ability to "bulk checkbox" a
list in Evernote desktop. Hopefully that will come soon.

Caroline