Any experience with Palm Pre or Pixi plus? (at&t)
Teri Pittman
2011-03-10 20:16:51 UTC
I'm upgrading my phone and looking towards going with WebOS. Does anyone
have experience with either the Pre or Pixi? I've read the hardware of the
Pre is not good.
--
Teri Pittman
teri.pittman-***@public.gmane.org

Anthony Schellenberg
2011-03-10 20:31:15 UTC
HP is releasing a new webos phone very soon called the veer. I'd take a
look at that one - though it will be quite a small device. There is also
the HP Pre 2 which recently became available in the US. The palm WebOS
devices released by HP will have better build quality than the older
devices.
Post by Teri Pittman
I'm upgrading my phone and looking towards going with WebOS. Does anyone
have experience with either the Pre or Pixi? I've read the hardware of the
Pre is not good.
--
Teri Pittman

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
GtD_Palm-digest-***@public.gmane.org
GtD_Palm-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Justin Moon
2011-03-10 20:37:58 UTC
I have a Pixi Plus on Verizon. I would advise against any Pixi. I love webOS,
but the Pixi and Pixi plus are far too underpowered to provide a decent
experience. The Pre Plus (offered on AT&T and previously on Verizon) is much
better. I've read complaints about the build quality, but not the computer
guts. The phone is plastic, and people say the charging port door is flimsy,
and the front bezel cracks around the charging port. There are other issues
too, but those are the most common I've heard. The internals of the phone have
plenty of beef to run whatever apps you desire.

Having said all that, HP has announced more powerful phones that will be coming
out this summer (no specific date, which is another source of community ire).
As Anthony said, have a look at those before deciding what to do. I'm not one
to chase the latest and greatest hardware (budgetary concerns), but it may be
worth waiting. Also, Verizon is currently offering the Pre 2, which is a decent
incremental improvement over the Pre Plus. HP offers it in a GSM unlocked
version that would be compatible with AT&T. If you needed something in the near
future, I'd recommend that over anything else.

My Pixi Plus is keeping me going, but I'm cursing that I decided to go with free
instead of ponying up a little cash for the Pre Plus.

Jacques Turbé
2011-03-12 07:45:41 UTC
Hi Teri,

I've got my Pre plus last august. I never went into any hardware problem
(although I dropped it twice on hard floors !). Main limitation is short
battery life, could be a pain if you're most often outdoors. But, if you
have the touchstone (charger stand) at hand, it's so easy to always have the
pre at full charge.
Although Pre is a medium smartphone, it's rather muscular : you can have
many apps running at once. I've got the GTD stuff and reference database I
use on PC aboard my Pre (a 3Meg / 1000 items TiddlyWiki -
html/css/javascripts) : it runs half as fast as on my laptop. F.i : less
than 2 secs to build and display a "for each... with conditions.."
dashboard.
The phone itself is rather top.
And I'm completly sold to WebOs ease of use and power :)

As I'm not application greedy, I'm satisfied enough by what I find in pre
app catlog, and don't miss large Android ant iphone ones :)

Jacques
Teri Pittman
2011-03-12 21:33:34 UTC
Post by Jacques Turbé
As I'm not application greedy, I'm satisfied enough by what I find in pre
app catlog, and don't miss large Android ant iphone ones :)
I find that to be a common theme here! I think quite a few of us bought a
lot of Palm apps in the old days. Now, I think I'll like something just
basic.

I don't know how much luck I'm going to have getting a Pre from AT&T though.
They seem to have only the refurbs available and for new lines, not
upgrades. I'll see what I can do. I'd like to upgrade now so I can pass
along my current phone to my stepson, who has a pretty basic phone.
Otherwise, I might wait until summer for the Pre 3.