Best Backup App?
Tory Larson
2004-07-09 03:51:29 UTC
Please forgive me for cross-posting...

I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for my Zire 71. I
would prefer something which would do incremental backups, and compression would
be great. I tried FlyBackup, but it was a little buggy (no pun intended).
BackupBuddyVFS works great, but doesn't use compression or support incremental
backups (although the trial version saved my bacon today).

I travel with my Zire a lot--so I need something which will work well, and
automatically, while I'm on the go. Any recommendations?
re:thinking - a postmodern journal of faith, life, and technology
<<< mobile web directory - open source software info - opinion >>>
http://rethinking.squarespace.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/DROolB/TM
Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Brian
2004-07-09 12:15:12 UTC
I don't use it, but try JJBackup. I do use JackFlash and JackSprat
haven't had any problems.

Also, for when you are at home and do a sync, use Backupbuddy.
I've used it for years now and is well worth it.
--
Brian, on 7/9/2004
All computers wait at the same speed.
Post by Tory Larson
Please forgive me for cross-posting...
I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for my
Zire 71. I would prefer something which would do incremental
backups, and compression would be great. I tried FlyBackup, but it
was a little buggy (no pun intended). BackupBuddyVFS works great,
but doesn't use compression or support incremental backups
(although the trial version saved my bacon today).
I travel with my Zire a lot--so I need something which will work
well, and automatically, while I'm on the go. Any recommendations?
re:thinking - a postmodern journal of faith, life, and technology
<<< mobile web directory - open source software info - opinion >>>
http://rethinking.squarespace.com
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
~--> Yahoo! Domains - Claim yours for only $14.70
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/DROolB/TM -----------
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/DROolB/TM

Teri Pittman
2004-07-09 13:24:32 UTC
I think that's JBBackup (which is running for me right now.) It uses
the Zlib compression and will backup to an SD card. He doesn't update
it often, but it's been very stable and reliable.
tpittman-bB/***@public.gmane.org

Brian
2004-07-09 13:39:58 UTC
Post by Teri Pittman
I think that's JBBackup (which is running for me right now.)
Oops! Your right. Typo.

While I am posting, I forgot the url as well.
www.brayder.com

pdw
2004-07-09 15:34:39 UTC
BackupMan is great if you are looking for automated, incremental backups and
automatic restore on reset.

Pam

I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for my Zire 71.
would prefer something which would do incremental backups, and compression
would
be great. I tried FlyBackup, but it was a little buggy (no pun intended).
BackupBuddyVFS works great, but doesn't use compression or support
incremental
backups (although the trial version saved my bacon today).

I travel with my Zire a lot--so I need something which will work well, and
automatically, while I'm on the go. Any recommendations?
re:thinking - a postmodern journal of faith, life, and technology <<< mobile
web directory - open source software info - opinion >>>
http://rethinking.squarespace.com

the most out of it:

Yahoo! Groups Links

Bree
2004-07-09 16:43:49 UTC
i'm using CardBackup, by jkware.

It does incremental, and backups only to an SD card. I've restored from it 2-3 times, and it
was flawless. Also, you can schedule automatic backups -- mine does it overnight at 3am.

Here is the palmgear link:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=software.showsoftware&SID=81560B20-7E95-2C26
-22088C552B297F7F&PartnerREF=&prodID=14328

Bree

TronBlack
2004-07-09 19:27:55 UTC
The HotSync application will back up main memory, and BlueSync from
Blue Squirrel (http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/BlueSync/) will
back up the card.

Tron

Curtis
2004-07-21 00:32:41 UTC
So, you're stating that all the data is backed up during the hotsync
without using backup software? Specifically, if my palm loses it
power and resets to initial factory setting, I can restore just by
syncing with the palm data already stored on my computer?

It seems like I tried this in the past and it just restored the
programs and not the data. Please advise.
Post by Tory Larson
Please forgive me for cross-posting...
I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for
my
Post by TronBlack
Zire 71. I

Jen Edwards
2004-07-21 12:53:17 UTC
Everything is supposed to be backed up by the normal Hotsync process,
but some apps/data can slip through the cracks if their backup bits
aren't set correctly by the developer.

If you want absolutely bulletproof protection, get BackupBuddy from Blue Nomad.

Jen
Post by Curtis
So, you're stating that all the data is backed up during the hotsync
without using backup software? Specifically, if my palm loses it
power and resets to initial factory setting, I can restore just by
syncing with the palm data already stored on my computer?
It seems like I tried this in the past and it just restored the
programs and not the data. Please advise.
--
http://www.pocketgoddess.com
98% Palm OS, 100% Fun!

George Wyner
2004-07-21 15:16:35 UTC
My recollection is that third party apps are not backed up completely. I
believe if you google BackupBuddy and go to the site, the FAQ there will
explain the difference. I use BackupBuddy and BackupBuddyVFS. If I have a
hard crash I can restore from the memory card on my palm (without even
hotsyncing). *Everything* is restored. I highly recommend these products.
Post by Tory Larson
Please forgive me for cross-posting...
I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for
my
Post by TronBlack
Zire 71. I

Rt.Rev. (Bishop) Alan J Munday
2004-07-22 00:13:00 UTC
Re BackupBuddy, the advantage is that while PalmOS backs up many files
during hotsync, BB backs up everything. It can also be set to make a
complete back up of your SD card during hotsync. (Of course you could,
if using a card reader and its software keep a mirror directory on your
PC containing copies of everything on your SD card and periodically
manually copy everything, but that is not so handy or error proof).

As well as using the desktop BB, I also use BBVFS and backup to a
special SD card that I keep for the purpose. This has really saved my
bacon once or twice when something has gone wrong with my setup whilst
away from my PC, including on holiday. I have either been able to
restore individual files that have somehow got deleted or corrupted,
from advanced mode, or the whole lot from basic mode. This just cannot
be done relying on the basic PalmOS backup and I feel much happier these
days now that I know that, in need, I can restore things whilst out on
the road.

I most certainly join George (Wyner) in highly recommending these two
products. If I could only buy one, I would particularly recommend
BackupBuddyVFS for its portability.

Best wishes
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rt.Rev. (Bishop) Alan J Munday (Bishop +Alan-Meirion)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- <>< Caritas Christi Urget Nos <>< -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Meg Halter
2004-07-22 18:22:09 UTC
BB will back up an SD card, too? How does one choose this? I've
been using BB & BBVFS for a couple of years and my only
complaint has been that BB wouldn't back up my second SD card.
(The first SD card contains only the BBVFS backup.)

-- Meg
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Rt.Rev. (Bishop) Alan J Munday
2004-07-22 18:49:32 UTC
Post by Meg Halter
BB will back up an SD card, too? How does one choose this?
Go into the BB Configuration Manager and click on the "Backup
applications and data on expansion cards". This does make for a longer
hotsync time, so, like me, you may want to only enable this manually
every now and then rather than have it done on every hotsync. (If your
BB does not have this option you would need to get an update).

All the best ............ Alan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Meg Halter
2004-07-26 16:04:58 UTC
Thanks, Alan. Worked perfectly.

I often advise folks that they should review the options on
their software periodically, especially a few months after
installing the software. Um. Sometimes I forget to take my own
advice. :-P

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- <>< Caritas Christi Urget Nos <><
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

josephcandito
2004-07-27 00:42:40 UTC
You may also take a look at Mobile Backup from Bachmann (PrintBoy
folks) just released here:

http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/mbnetpromo.htm
Post by Meg Halter
BB will back up an SD card, too? How does one choose this?
Go into the BB Configuration Manager and click on the "Backup
applications and data on expansion cards". This does make for
a longer
hotsync time, so, like me, you may want to only enable this
manually
every now and then rather than have it done on every hotsync.
(If your
BB does not have this option you would need to get an update).
All the best ............ Alan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=
--------------------~-->

Gretchen Cawthon
2004-07-22 19:56:00 UTC
I'm working on a big project of setting up a computer lab for our
school. I have all the hardware and accessories needed and I am in the
process of assembling each workstation and getting it up and running.
Once this is complete, I would like to setup a simple database to track
each machine and any changes or issues pending with each machine. I
basically want to track 4 things - Hardware Specs, Software Specs,
Routine Maintenance and Problems/Issues for each machine. I want to
sync the data to my palm so I can make notes while I am in the lab (or
elsewhere in the scholl since I will be doing the same thing in
classrooms eventually.) I may even track passwords and users
eventually. I don't see tracking more than 50 computers so I don't feel
the need for expensive tracking software.

I can see several options for this: Handyshopper, Handbase, Bonsai,
Plain Vanilla Memos or an Excel Spreadsheet. I am familiar with all of
these apps so there is no learning curve. Each application has it's
strengths and weaknesses and I am having trouble deciding the best route
to go. I was wondering if anyone here has implemented any PC
tracking/inventory using a palm and if so what is your setup?

One requirement that I am looking at is that I would like the palm app
to be able to feed into my GTD system to remind me of outstanding issues
on the machines. I would also like to be able to search through my data
and get statistics like 'number of Win XP machines' etc. So far Excel
looks like the best route (using pivot tables and autofilter to get
stats,etc.) and I can sync the sheet to my palm. The problem is it
doesn't feed into the basic palm PIM's (todo database) for trouble
tracking and the filtered views are not available on the palm. Am I
overlooking a simple way to do this?

Gretchen

---

pdw
2004-07-22 20:29:54 UTC
Smartlist would be a good option, if you are willing to pay the price. You
might be able to do something with Shadow Plan. If I was setting it up, I
would use Smartlist.

Pam

Nicola Larosa
2004-07-22 20:15:29 UTC

Tom Shannon
2004-07-23 12:43:41 UTC
Post by pdw
basically want to track 4 things - Hardware Specs, Software Specs,
Routine Maintenance and Problems/Issues for each machine. I want to
sync the data to my palm so I can make notes while I am in the lab (or
elsewhere in the scholl since I will be doing the same thing in
classrooms eventually.)
I can see several options for this: Handyshopper, Handbase, Bonsai,
Plain Vanilla Memos or an Excel Spreadsheet.
One requirement that I am looking at is that I would like the palm app
to be able to feed into my GTD system to remind me of outstanding issues
on the machines.
Excel is, of course, far and away the most flexible answer. But if feeding
into GTD is a big issue, my feeling is that Bonsai would be the most
appropriate. The use of outlines combined with categories would seem to
give all of the flexibility you would need. Perhaps if I understood the
drawbacks that you see to using it, I'd better understand the nature of the
problem.

Tom S.

I thought I was in love once, and then later I thought maybe it was just an
inner ear imbalance.
-- Benton Fraser, RCMP; Due South; "An Invitation to Romance

Gretchen
2004-07-24 04:24:01 UTC
Thanks for all the replies. I realized shortly after I posted that I
was trying to manage two separate things in the same system. What I
really have is reference material (inventory, specs, helpdesk logs,
history, etc.) and projects (computers with outstanding problems,
incomplete hardware, special requests, etc.). These need to be kept
separate so making it feed into my GTD system is not going to happen. I
have not yet determined what I will use to keep the reference material
(leaning towards excel, still, although I am looking into
smartlist-to-go) but my GTD system is setup as datbk5/Bonsai so that's
where the projects go. I am still looking for suggestions on the
reference material.

Gretchen

PS - we have a lot of software (educational learning programs) that can
legally be loaded onto multiple machines, but require the CD in order to
run. I would like to load these programs on every machine but not use
the CD (kids tend to destroy the discs). Is there any software or
utilities out there that will let me copy the CD-ROM to the hard drive
and run the program without the CD in the drive? As a private school we
have little funding for software so I am looking for something that is
open source or freeware. Google searches have sent me on a lot of
rabbit trails with no real options, but my terminology might not be
right. I would be willing to buy a program but bear in mind the entire
computer lab project is funded through ink cartridge recycling and
Boxtops for Education so our income is under $500 per year. We do get
outside donations that help from time to time. Please note these
computers are NOT networked and are all donated so they are not
identical but all are running win98 SE or better. Thanks for any help
anyone can offer in this area!

---

juliusmarlowe
2004-07-24 09:32:17 UTC
(...) Is there any software or
utilities out there that will let me copy the CD-ROM to the hard drive
and run the program without the CD in the drive? As a private school we
have little funding for software so I am looking for something that is
open source or freeware. Google searches have sent me on a lot of
rabbit trails with no real options, but my terminology might not be
right.
There is alot of proprietary, free and open source development in this
area driven by the desire to play copy-protected games from copied
CD's. Useful search terms are "virtual cd", "cd drive emulator".

Top of the free heap would seem to be Daemon Tools, though I have very
little experience here. See
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php

Your next job is to produce the hard-disk version of the cd to be
mounted in the emulator; this is the ISO file or ISO image. If you
need to have the CD "present" in the machine, then just copying
everything to a folder on the harddisk probably doesn't work? Alot of
CD burning software can do this (burn to disk image), and WinISO is a
separate program just for this task (though not free).

I am 99% sure you can do all of this free, but I am 100% sure you will
need to experiment with ISO creation and emulators that work for the
particular CD's you want to mount, as different vendors will have
used different copy-protection approaches.

Or you can just use free versions of the programs you're trying to
distribute ;)

/Steve

Nicola Larosa
2004-07-24 16:33:26 UTC

Markus Braun
2004-08-04 10:56:29 UTC
Gesendet am: Samstag, 24. Juli 2004 11:32
An: GtD_Palm-***@public.gmane.org
Betreff: [GtD_Palm] Re: Computer Tracking w/ GTD
[...]

There is a program called Paragon out there on www.cdrom-emulator.com
which does the copy to the harddisk and the mounting of the cd as a drive in
one batch. You do not need to care about ISO drives. However I do not know
if there is a freeware version available.

Markus

Gretchen Cawthon
2004-08-05 14:49:55 UTC
Just as an update for anyone following this OT thread...

I have researched and downloaded several open source educational
packages that seem to fit our needs. This will be much easier than
trying to make the CD-emulation thing work. I am still searching for
more open source educational software so if anyone has any links please
email me privately. Thanks!

Gretchen

---

Theresa Hume
2004-07-24 10:51:44 UTC
Have you considered using Ecco? It would be able to track all information
on each computer. Also a simple click will add something to your todo list
on your PDA. Then you can sort your information any way you like. Show
which computers have which software, etc.
http://www.compusol.org/ecco/

Here is a link to a shareware program that will copy cds to the hard drive
for use.
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Virtual-Original-CD-Drive-Emulator/3000-2094-
10231502.html?tag=lst-0-3
I haven't used this myself so I don't know about it. There are several
others available just go to one of the free download sites and search for
'virtual cd'.
Theresa

bevlocke
2004-07-23 15:17:07 UTC
Gretchen,
I, too, manage computers at a school. And I've used my Palm for a
long time to handle it. I created a set of files in Smartlist (back
when it was ThinkingBytes) that kept track of all you want to track,
and more. The files are not currently up-to-date, and were corrupted
at some point when I upgraded from one Palm devise to another. I
created files for items, locations, people, issues, software. With
the files I was able to tap on a location (i.e. 5th grade classroom)
and get a list of everything that should be in that room. Or tap on
an issue and find out who reported it, when, what computer or software
program it involved, whether or not it was resolved, and how. It came
in handy when the superintendent's office wanted an inventory of
everything that cost over $500.

I was unable to use the system last year for a variety of reasons
and, now that I am at two very different schools (one public, the
other Christian), I am reconsidering how to set things up. I go back
and forth between trying to create something new, perhaps in an
outliner, or cleaning up the Smartlist app. I like the relational
approach of Smartlist, which minimizes the repetition of data.

Smartlist used to offer plugins that would allow connections to the
built-in apps, so that is one way to link it to the GTD system. They
have since upgraded the program and I haven't purchased the update, so
I don't know the status of plug-ins. They provide a desktop
application, and can talk to MS Access.

All that is to say, if you are interested in seeing what I have,
I'm willing to share. And if you come up with another approach, I'd
be interested in learning about it.

<>< Bev ><>

Mike
2004-07-22 03:29:53 UTC
I don't believe that is true. If an application is poorly written (or the
author missed this one point) and the backup bit is not marked, I don't
believe the Hotsync process will back it up.

I have BackupBuddy installed on my PC at home, but not at work. I've had to
do a hard reset at work and everything didn't come back as I had expected.
When I got home, I did a hard reset and restored everything from my
BackupBuddy setup and it was 100% restored.

If all you use is a 'plain vanilla' setup you can get by with the hotsync
only. But as you add applications I would consider BackupBuddy a must.

Mike

Post by Tory Larson
Please forgive me for cross-posting...
I'm looking for recommendations for the best backup software for
my
Post by TronBlack
Zire 71. I
Post by Tory Larson
automatically, while I'm on the go. Any recommendations?
the most out of it:

Yahoo! Groups Links

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Tory Larson
2004-07-22 13:51:49 UTC
Post by Mike
I don't believe that is true. If an application is poorly written (or the
author missed this one point) and the backup bit is not marked, I don't
believe the Hotsync process will back it up.
You are correct. I speak from experience. However, any file manager will allow
you to manually mark the backup bit.

Of course, you probably wouldn't think to check unless you restored your data
and found some of it missing... ;) Again, I speak from experience.

http://rethinking.squarespace.com
mobile web dir, open source for windows, faith, mobile tech

Michael Randall
2004-07-24 10:14:39 UTC
Post by juliusmarlowe
Top of the free heap would seem to be Daemon Tools, though I have very
little experience here. See
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
I use Daemon Tools every day at work, and definitely recommend it. It's free for non-commercial use, too.
Post by juliusmarlowe
CD burning software can do this (burn to disk image), and WinISO is a
separate program just for this task (though not free).
Try ISO Buster - it's not quite as easy to use, but it's free, and you only have to do the imaging bit once for each CD, and it'll do it in about three or four clicks. If you don't figure it out straight away, mail me off list - I've used it quite a bit.
--
Michael Randall - http://pigpog.com/michael/
PigPog - It's just words and pictures - http://pigpog.com