PHEM: new Android Palm emulator
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-11 01:40:56 UTC
At 0.99 cents, it is worth a try, and for that reason alone I will not critize it too strongly, but in general it is rather slow, I guess it depends on your Android device, so far only tried one.

The two relevant points to make are:

1-It supposedly runs any pre OS5 program, running some acceptably (memoleaf) , though I am unhappy with how it runs Acrowiki. You maybe unhappy with how the screen looks in a small cell phone.

2-Perhaps the most important point of all, it actually Hotsyncs with the Palm Desktop!!! There is no other emulator that does Hotsync in Android so far (Styletap is much, much better, and runs OS5 programs, but without Hotsync, and at $50 bucks, it is dead in the water).

So there you are, is there anyone left here who cares about this information?

I will leave most of the technical details for you to read at http://perpendox.com/

P.S. Some programs are designed for running in both OS5 and pre OS5, but the data files for each are a bit different, and if you accidentally put OS5 data files in this emulator (as I did with Diddlebug), it will crash.
v***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-11 01:45:29 UTC
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
So there you are, is there anyone left here who cares about this information?
YES, yes, YES
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
I will leave most of the technical details for you to read at
http://perpendox.com/
thanks !!

on related/unrelated/of interest/of no interest note:

any suggestion for Android replacements for Hours ? MyChequebook ?

thanks again, have Android, use Palm
Morgan Young
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-11 04:55:54 UTC
An update, I recommend you do not use the roms mentioned in the phem site, they are too slow. Instead, choose one from the following site (I downloaded all to play around with): http://artnetweb.com/gh/palm_emulator/roms%20Folder/Popular%20ROM%20Downloads/ http://artnetweb.com/gh/palm_emulator/roms%20Folder/Popular%20ROM%20Downloads/

In my experimenting I discovered that the earlier the version of the rom, the faster the emulator, but if you go below OS3.5, you will lose the use of many cool programs that require OS 3.5, including Memoleaf, Acrowiki, and many others.

I suspect the roms mentioned in the phem site are slow because they support the use of an external card, and the ones in the link above are faster because they do not. So far my favorite is the one for the Palm IIIc, because of color and speed:(http://artnetweb.com/gh/palm_emulator/roms%20Folder/Popular%20ROM%20Downloads/Palm%20OS%203.5-en-color.rom)
Voytek
2014-04-11 13:21:01 UTC
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
An update, I recommend you do not use the roms mentioned in the phem
site, they are too slow. Instead, choose one from the following site
http://artnetweb.com/gh/palm_emulator/roms%20Folder/Popular%20ROM%20Downloads/
http://artnetweb.com/gh/palm_emulator/roms%20Folder/Popular%20ROM%20Downloads/
Thanks for posting rom links, 3c installed, managed to install some prc,

Some crashed, guess ver. 4, others seem to work fine
martin trotter
2014-04-11 14:21:47 UTC
I expect datebk 6 would need osv5 though to work properly?
Same with happyshopper?

Still running a T3 and a backup T3 since the batteries are socketed and i
can buy spares off amazon.

Those are the 2 apps that keep me on palm still alongside my galaxy s3.

Martin
E&OE GMail crawls every so often on my internet connection :(
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-11 20:38:10 UTC
Post by martin trotter
I expect datebk 6 would need osv5 though to work properly?
Same with happyshopper?
Probably, you will have to try it out to find out, the program itself will tell you if it cannot run on the lower OS versions.

happyshopper? You probably mean Handyshopper, haven't used that one in a number of years, but I recall it was the best shopping program I ever used.
martin trotter

E&OE GMail crawls every so often on my internet connection :(
Harold Goldner
2014-04-11 21:09:25 UTC
Being the OCD data hoarder that I have always been, I navigated to my
BackupBuddy folder on my PC (yes, still have that....) and found
BackupManager. Problem is, it expects a removable sdcard. I suspect I'll
install Pose on my PC, secure the ROM from my 755p and plug it into Phem,
and then try to run the restore of all my apps (not run since November of
2011). If I actually can resurrect my Treo 755p setup on my Android phone,
then I'll get rid of everything I have covered in Android, and see what we
can do.

Yes, HandyShopper is on that list, and it's still the best darn program
that does that on the planet. ToMarket is the closest they come on
Android, and that's about 60% -75% of the way. Frankly, I'd be ecstatic
just to run that on my Android via the emulator. If I could get that, plus
Agendus to somehow handle my Exchange data, I would be one very happy
camper.

Harold
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
Post by martin trotter
I expect datebk 6 would need osv5 though to work properly?
Same with happyshopper?
Probably, you will have to try it out to find out, the program itself
will tell you if it cannot run on the lower OS versions.
happyshopper? You probably mean Handyshopper, haven't used that one in a
number of years, but I recall it was the best shopping program I ever used.
--
E&OE GMail crawls every so often on my internet connection :(
--
=======================================
Harold M. Goldner, Attorney-at-Law
=======================================
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-11 20:13:47 UTC
Never heard of those programs, on either Palm or Android, but on Android I use Cashflow to deal with my banking information, though I am currently looking to replace it, since there are more powerful programs available (though they cost a lot more to register, still researching the options).
Harold Goldner
2014-04-11 20:16:32 UTC
Refresh my recollection (it's been > 4 years). How do I install apps on
the emulator? Do I have to really get Hotsync back on my Windows 7
computer to do this?

Harold
=======================================
Voytek
2014-04-11 21:26:06 UTC
Post by Harold Goldner
Refresh my recollection (it's been > 4 years). How do I install apps on
the emulator? Do I have to really get Hotsync back on my Windows 7
computer to do this?
Harold,

I've simply copied prcs to Android, into poem's dir, though, wherever will do, run phem, touch down arrow icon on top, drill down to desired proc
Harold Goldner
=======================================
Harold Goldner
2014-04-11 21:32:52 UTC
Was so excited I hit send too quickly. Actually managed to install
HandyShopper AND my old database that way. This is awesome.

Harold
Post by Harold Goldner
THANK YOU!
On April 12, 2014 6:16:32 AM GMT+10:00, Harold Goldner <
=======================================
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-13 01:05:55 UTC
Refresh my recollection (it's been > 4 years). How do I install apps on the emulator? Do I have to really get
Hotsync back on my Windows 7 computer to do this?
Someone already replied to this.
However, it sounds like you don't really need the Hotsync functionality. In that case, Styletap might be a better choice of an emulator for you, it is MUCH faster than phem and runs OS5, if you don't mind the $50 price tag, and the fact that it doesn't do Hotsync. It is also available in all the major platforms (Android, iPhone/iPad, Windows Mobile, I think blackberry too)
martin trotter
2014-04-11 20:38:21 UTC
Lo,
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
Post by v***@public.gmane.org
any suggestion for Android replacements for Hours ? MyChequebook ?
Never heard of those programs, on either Palm or Android, but on Android I
use Cashflow to deal with my banking information, though I am currently
looking to replace it, since there are more powerful programs available
(though they cost a lot more to register, still researching the options).
Also, please visit the file and bookmark sections of the mailing list to
How about something that can replace microsoft money on the desktop?

I tried quicken 2010 but it couldnt import my checking account which made
it hopeless since i would have to start again.

Martin
E&OE GMail crawls every so often on my internet connection :(
d***@public.gmane.org
2014-04-13 00:50:55 UTC

-----------------
Well, Quicken 2014 has a version for Android that syncs with it, but the reviews are not glowing, and it costs a bit of cash. After tax season is over I will research money apps more carefully.
Voytek
2014-04-11 21:32:57 UTC
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
Post by v***@public.gmane.org
any suggestion for Android replacements for Hours ? MyChequebook ?
Never heard of those programs, on either Palm or Android, but on
Android I use Cashflow to deal with my banking information, though I am
currently looking to replace it, since there are more powerful programs
available (though they cost a lot more to register, still researching
the options).
If you can, please post your progress

hours is a simple 'time and billing' from source forge, not too complex, but really useful and powerful, supports import export
dmccunney
2014-04-25 22:46:10 UTC
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
So there you are, is there anyone left here who cares about this information?
Yes. I still use a Palm device (a TX, now, and a Tapwave Zodiac
previously), and just got an Android tablet to play with.

The Palm's main purpose in life is eBook viewer, and I have *many*
volumes in Plucker and Mobipocket format on it, plus a smattering of
other things. (About the only format I can't read directly is ePub,
but I can use Calibre to convert ePub->Mobi if need be.)

Plucker is odd man out on Android. Under Windows, Linux, and OS/X,
the open source FBReader program handles Plucker documents, but the
Android port is a fork written in Java that doesn't have Plucker
support. If it will sucessfully run Plucker in emulation, I may be a
very happy camper.
Post by d***@public.gmane.org
I will leave most of the technical details for you to read at http://perpendox.com/
Okay. What looks like decent support for Palm OS <= 4.2. If you need
OS 5.X, they point you at StyleTap.

Still, it's neat that someone did this.

Except that he's busy working for Google these days, I'd love to see
Dmitry Grinberg (PalmPowerups) do something like this. Dmitry got
Linux to boot on an 8 bit Atmel AVR processor. He did it by writing a
hardware abstraction layer for the AVR that intercepted ARM
instructions and converted to to Atmel. Don't ask about boot time or
performance onced up, but it's like the line about the dancing bear:
"The miracle is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all."

______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
Harold Goldner
2014-04-26 03:16:32 UTC
Wow. Haven't heard Dimitri's name in a while. I remember waiting for him to
finish his OS. Wonder what he's doing now.

Harold

Sent while mobile to avoid delay. Please excuse any mistakes in spelling or
grammar.
dmccunney
2014-05-04 01:33:43 UTC