Using Palms
TeresaP
2012-06-23 20:39:42 UTC
Sorry about the recent spam. I think I have those "members" banned.

I still have my Zire71 and Tungsten C but don't use them any more. I've moved to an iPhone with Life Balance. (and I still try out different software like #todo, which I really liked). Life Balance still works for me, but I don't GTD like I used to do. I had a bad experience with digital GTD when my husband was ill. My Palm went down as I didn't have the charger with me (it was back at work) and I still don't really trust digital, although I continue to use it.

It's too bad about Palm. I had hopes for WebOS but they dropped the ball on that too. The Tungsten C is a great machine and it's a shame I don't use it. There was such an outpouring of energy in the early Palm days that I just don't see now. It's a shame.

I prefer to go low-end and have gone back to running a Mac PPC G5 for my work computer. It's fun to be able to use all those free OS 9 programs. I believe we get too caught up in wanting to be one of the cool kids and forget to choose hardware/software that works for us. I don't like to let the computer/software companies push me into something that doesn't work for me. I think you will see some backlash as Windows 8 gets rolled out and XP is no longer supported. Microsoft may be more responsive than Palm was.
dennisthornton1952
2012-06-24 13:22:55 UTC
Normally my hindsight is pretty darned good but I still have to just scratch my head looking back and trying to understand Palm Inc's decisions! Hari Kari is all I can figure out! But I still can't explain why an overwhelming leader in an active and massively growing market would shoot itself!

Nor can I explain why today's vastly superior hardware can't do what I'm still doing on my Palm, or at least not do it as well. I love new tech and I've been looking to replace my T3 but I still don't see anything that will satisfactorily replace it!

I do think that most heavy duty users of Palm devices, especially those who also embraced DateBk6, were primarily looking for function. Flash and sizzle is nice but unacceptable unless it works! I suspect that many of today's high tech device users are less demanding of function, at least enough that the manufactures and software writers fell that they need to cater to the "Wow!" factor.

Long live my T3! At least until I find something to replace it and DateBk6!

Soap Box: <off>

martin trotter
2012-06-24 14:16:08 UTC
Lo,
Post by TeresaP
[...]
There is the g3-g5 google groups mailing list for us PPC mac users.
Its quite active.

I have a powerbook g4 17" and a mac mini 1.5ghz both PPC.

Martin N
--
E&OE GMail crawls every so often on my internet connection :(