Windows 7 / Hotsync
persingd
2009-10-05 20:55:53 UTC
I use a Palm TX for GTD as well as many other things. Currently I Hotsync my Palm with Windows Vista. In a few more weeks I will be getting Windows 7.

Have any of you tried Windows 7? Have you been able to get it to Hotsync with your Palm? I have searched the forums at Palm.com to no avail; not much info there.

Dave Persinger
Michael
2009-10-05 22:04:05 UTC
Let's hope if Palm needs to upgrade the Palm Software, they are doing it
now. HP is already postintg Win7 printer drivers, so I am optimistic.
Hopefully history will not repeat itself again: Palm took forever to release
the Vista Update. Furthermore, let's hope the update is not just for Pre and
the other smart phones- the only items they are selling now.

What I have seen and heard from Microsoft is that this upgrade will not have
the kind of changes that will affect the syncing.

We shall see..... I am a 680 owner and sync all the time!
--
Areté
Michael Hanes

EOM

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure
to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of
this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify me immediately by reply email
so that I may correct my internal records. Please then delete the original
message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.

persingd

alanportman2002
2009-10-06 13:12:52 UTC
How did you get your Palm to sync with Vista? I have a Zire 72 that is being a very pretty paper weight since buying a new desktop. I am just glad I synced everything to Time and Chaos before the old computer died.
Dave Persinger
persingd
2009-10-06 21:42:19 UTC
Awhile after Vista was released, Palm came out with a Vista compatible version of Palm Desktop; Palm Desktop 6.2 and HotSync Manager:
http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/zire/72/unlocked/solutions/article/32859_en.html

You could give it a try...although the Zire isn't one of the listed devices:
Palm devices
¡Palm Centro; Treo 755p , 700p, 680, 650
¡Palm TX, Z22; Tungsten E2

Dave Persinger
Dave Persinger
persingd
2009-10-06 21:45:50 UTC
There's also a thread on the Palm forums titled "Synchronizing older Palm devices with Palm Desktop 6.2 and VISTA" that you could check out:
http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=windows_hotsync&thread.id=38625
Dave Persinger
hoppe_christoffel
2009-10-06 12:51:07 UTC
Dave,

you'll be able to run all legacy software/palm desktop on a virtual machine performing any xp-version.
i think, there is to be an embedded XP as virtual machine coming out of the box with the pro versions of win7.
alternatively there are free VMs from vmware or microsoft.
i use xp-pro with fusion2 on a mac which works seamless with palm desktop and
i used to fiddle around with vmware for windows on my old xp-pro notebook just to
give it a try and it also worked fine for me, afair. (that notebook was one of the first centrino's with one single-core 1,3gb/500gb ram and the performance of a xp-VM under xp-pro was not too bad. So new machines will surely have enough horsepower to make it not a pain, too)

Robert
Dave Persinger
yongweihu
2009-10-11 05:08:34 UTC
I'm using Windows 7. There is no problem hotsyncing my Plam with it. Everything works fine. By the way, I use a Centro, not Plam TX.
Dave Persinger
Dwight C
2010-11-25 22:54:48 UTC
What version of Palm Desktop are you using? I don't want to leave version 4. I tried Palm Desktop 6.2, but I lost a lot of capabilities so I went back to the old version.

Regards,
Dwight...
Dave Persinger
Joseph B. Welsh
2009-10-16 02:20:00 UTC
Post by persingd
I use a Palm TX for GTD as well as many other things. Currently I Hotsync my Palm with Windows Vista. In a few more weeks I will be getting Windows 7.
Have any of you tried Windows 7? Have you been able to get it to Hotsync with your Palm? I have searched the forums at Palm.com to no avail; not much info there.
Dave Persinger
I have Windows 7, a Palm TX and Palm Desktop 6.2. No Problem synching
at all.

Joe Welsh
persingd